Saturday, June 12, 2010

(What I Wore to) Plato's (Full) Closet


Yesterday I gathered a large trash bag full of clothes that I like but don't wear enough. I was so excited to go to the consignment store, Plato's Closet, to sell them, and make some sweet, sweet cash. A lot of the stuff I had was nearly new, some still with tags on. I tried to go in without high expectations though, so I wouldn't be disappointed. I figured maybe I'd make ten dollars at the least, only because I assumed there was no chance I could possibly make any less than that (these were almost brand new, name brand, really nice clothes!).
When I arrived, I dropped them off at the counter and looked around the store while they were assessed. As I found a dress that seemed to have been made specifically for me, the girl at the counter said they would only buy one skirt of mine, and only for $1.65. She informed me that because the store was so overstocked at that time, they were hardly taking any new clothing in. That was pretty frustrating. I had wished she would have told me that upon first receiving my bag, and before basically trashing it's contents (they were thrown back in the bag, all pulled out of shape and crumpled).


So now that I was only $1.65 richer, it felt like this amazing dress was staring at me like the puppies in the pet stores. I knew I couldn't really afford it, but I wanted it terribly, and it wanted me back. I caved, of course, and now I owe my mom $11.


So, as a seller, I was fairly unsatisfied with Plato's Closet. I just think the operation was handled incorrectly. Maybe it's just that specific location though, so I'll try taking my bag of misshaped, crumpled clothing to another one soon.


An unsuccessful trip, but with a little blue and green plaid rainbow at the end.
Pictures of my little wonder-dress to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment