Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Plastic Manipulators

When one of my best friends came to me with a newly assigned school project, we talked about the possibilities and weren't able to contain ourselves. The objective was to create something fashion-related out of something unusual. My friend, being a textile major, suggested we use plastic bags. She pulled out large, clear bags that our school store sells the foamcore boards in, and we decided they were perfect.


We discussed how it should be made, and we were set on making a bubble skirt with a flat, v-neck bodice. We determined the straps should be braided, which would give the thick plastic even more stability. I began bubbling the skirt and making it fuller by layering one bag over another (which served as a sort of lining), and securing them using a hot glue gun.

Once the clear plastic parts of the dress were complete, we agreed that it needed something extra. Sifting through every closet in her apartment, we finally found an opaque red bag. I thought it would make an amazing sash with a pop of color, so I knotted it into a bow, and attached it to the dress using my glue gun again.

She got an A+
:)




No comments:

Post a Comment