Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lily-pad Princess and Baby Sunshine

This year I got really excited for the arrival of Spring. I wanted to make some dresses that were really playful and ornate, so luckily I have two young nieces to make them for. The older niece loves tutus and anything that makes her feel like a princess. I named her dress "Lily-pad Princess" because the inspiration for the skirt was a lily-pad with pink flowers.


The dress was made of lime green cotton jersey-knit, with pink sparkle polyester knit trim on the sleeves. The skirt is lined with light pink satin, and covered in hot pink and lime green tulle flowers.

She really thinks she is a princess now. She loves her new dress and wears it everywhere she goes (even the grocery store)!



This was the original sketch I had drawn up for the lily-pad princess dress.

My younger niece doesn't mess around. She's a simple lady, and doesn't want anything to inhibit her playful games or get in the way.

Her dress is fairly simple, with a royal blue polka dot woven material. The bodice is lined in matching fabric, with a shirred skirt and back closure. It has 4 yellow flower buttons on the back.

I hand sewed an orange and yellow sun onto the bodice. I made sure to sew it extra securely so she could play as hard as she wanted, without fear of snapping a stitch.

These two beautiful gals can now play in their fun, Springtime dresses, and waste the day away in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment