Tuesday, July 20, 2010

6 Spools of Thread, 16 Yards of Fabric and a Million Band-aids Later...

This wedding dress was, while satisfying to complete, very frustrating at times to finish.
After attaching the petticoat to the bodice and finishing the sleeves, I began attaching the skirt self to the dress. The skirt is composed of 5.5 yards of satin, covered in 5.5 yards of organza.
Once that was finished I had to start attaching the details on the bottom of the hem. I had no idea it would take as much time and fabric as it did.
To make these hem details, I sewed long strips of fabric together, turned them inside out, and ironed them flat. Then, I twisted and turned the strips as I went along pinning it to the hem.
Because of the look we were going for with the design, I had to sew all of the hem details to the skirt by hand (My fingertips bled from pushing the pins into the thick fabric repeatedly for days... and that's where the band-aids come in...).
On the back of the dress, I sewed bridal loops into the bodice, between the self and lining.
I covered a million buttons (well, it felt like a million.. it was actually 22) with the satin, and sewed them onto the other side of the bodice.
I finished the sleeves by shirring the open edges and cleaning them off with some crisply ironed satin pieces.
I was finally finished when I made a long, satin sash that's easily detachable from the waist of the dress (If desired). Now... for the fittings...

No comments:

Post a Comment